6/16/09

Governors Island ferry

On Saturday I unexpectedly took a trip out to Governors Island. I figured, it's cold-ish and cloudy, so at least I won't get sweaty while trying to figure out how the heck to get there!

To get to Governors Island, you take the subway (or cab, if you're rich, ha ha) to Whitehall Street in downtown Manhattan. The Staten Island Ferry station is a gigantic building you can't miss, and next door to it is the Governors Island ferry station. It's a beautiful army green station, and the ferry is free!

It is a small ferry, and the ride is only a few minutes—Governors Island is so close to Manhattan you could swim to it. I didn't even know it existed until this day. And when I got there, I had no clue what it was. Apparently it is a preserved Island that is only open on weekends throughout the summer season. No one actually lives there, but there are houses, forts, park/field areas, a church and a castle - all of which host family friendly festivities and art events.

Here are some pictures from my ferry ride out to the island!


View out of the ferry window: The Statue of Liberty





another ferry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

follow @NYCphotos on twitter!